Top o’ the mornin’ to ya!
You knew I was going to say that, didn’t you? St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner, and I’m really excited to have your back with some fun ideas for St. Patricks’ Day for you and your kiddos.
Simple Ideas for St. Patrick’s Day
Here’s a list of things we’ve done in the past for this holiday.
- listened to Pandora’s St. Patrick’s Day radio station all day
- worn green
- colored drawings of St. Patrick
- talked a bit about who he was and fun facts about the holiday
- used the clover illustration to learn about the trinity and
- drank shamrock shakes from McDonald’s
What are you doing for St. Patrick’s day this year? We’re going to see if we can fit in some or even all of the above, but if you’d like to have a little extra fun with your kiddos, I love the idea of a Leprechaun trap!
Leprechaun Bait Recipe and Trip Printable
There’s a rumor that leprechauns will be making house visits this year. Do you think you and your little ones will see one? Thanks to Personal Creations, you might just be able to catch a little guy! Gear up with a leprechaun bait recipe and printable leprechaun trap to increase your chances.
Leprechaun Bait Treat Mix
Leprechauns can’t resist this super simple treat mix — you won’t be able to, either! The perfect blend of sweet candies, salty snacks, and green chocolate is sure to lure a sneaky leprechaun to your humble abode.
The recipe is so easy your children will love helping out! Plus, a healthy recipe is available for the little leprechauns who prefer nutritious snacks. They can even add a professional touch with a cute tag!
Leprechaun Treat Mix Recipe
- 1 cup rice square cereal
- 1 cup popcorn
- 1 cup pretzels
- ½ cup marshmallows
- ½ cup chocolate candies
- 8 ounces white chocolate melts
- Green sprinkles
- Green food coloring
- In a large bowl, combine rice square cereal, popcorn, pretzels, marshmallows and chocolate candies. Mix together.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the white chocolate on low heat until smooth. Microwave for 30 seconds, and then in 15 second intervals to assure you don’t burn the chocolate.
- Once melted, stir in green food coloring and pour the white chocolate over your dry mix.
- Stir your mix until it is evenly coated.
- On wax paper, spread your mixture out evenly and top with green sprinkles.
- Allow the mix to cool for 10-15 minutes. Put in bags or a bowl to enjoy!
Healthy Leprechaun Bait
- 1 cucumber
- 1 green bell peppers
- 1 bunch of celery
- Favorite veggie dip or dressing
- Thinly slice cucumber, green bell peppers, and celery sticks.
- Arrange all the vegetables on a small tray, in a bowl or in a bag.
- Place a small bowl of your favorite veggie dip or dressing nearby.
Leprechaun House and Trap Printable
After you have your bait ready, you can construct a cozy leprechaun home using the printable linked below. Be sure to cut and fold on the respective lines. You may want to consider printing on cardstock or thicker paper so the house is more sturdy.
Place the bait inside the house and wait a few hours. Have your munchkins check to see if you caught a leprechaun. If so, he must grant you three wishes in order to be released. Keep in mind that leprechauns can be tricky, so your little ones may find an empty house with some missing bait!
Build Your Leprechaun Trap
- White paper
- Markers or crayons
- Print out the templates in color or black and white. If printed in black and white, have your little one color the pieces.
- Cut around the dotted lines, and fold along the solid blue lines.
- Apply glue to the white tabs and construct your house, building the base first, and then adding the roof.
- Decorate with signs, rainbows and clovers.
- Prop the door open and leave your leprechaun bait inside!
I hope you have a wonderful holiday celebrating the Saint who brought Christianity to Ireland, whether you simply wear green or go all out with a whimsical new tradition!