Today I’m linking up with Shay and Erica for Workin’ it Wednesdays, and we’re coming clean about what we’re doing to get our house in shape this season. *cue nervous laughter*
I’ve never been intentional about Spring cleaning. In fact, I felt a sort of rebellious attitude toward it much earlier in my marriage (we’re on year 15 now). But the truth is, as soon as I open my windows on that first warm day, the fresh air and sunlight create an instinctual desire to get the house CLEAN.
I want my home to match the clean air and scent of the cheerful flowers in bloom. I want spring greens and pastel tulips and lavender lemonade, and I want them inside my sparkling house.
That’s what I want, but it’s not what I get. I simply do my best and throw all perfectionism out the window. As a mom of a preschooler and a toddler, my days are full and deep cleaning isn’t at the top of my priorities. But I do like to fit in some intentional cleaning here or there…and before I know it I’m pretty happy with what I’ve accomplished.
So today I’m sharing three things: traditional Spring cleaning checklists, life clean-up checklists, and what I’m actually doing or have done this year. In case it wasn’t already clear, I’m definitely not following these lists even though they are great. I give you full permission to throw them out the window as well. (I’m the worst saleslady ever.)
I don’t want to discourage you, but this quote really made me laugh.
Cleaning with children in the house really is like brushing your teeth while eating Oreos.
Ladies, Spring Cleaning with little ones in the house is tough. That’s why I’m sharing how I do Spring cleaning with little ones at my side!
Traditional Spring Cleaning Checklists
There are so many resources online for Spring cleaning, but these are the ones I recommend the MOST. They are not only well organized and nice to look at, they offer practical recommendations for getting your house at its best.
I really did my research so that you don’t have to wade through a crazy long list. These are truly the best of the best and the only checklists you’ll need to get your house in order this Spring!
- Printable Spring Cleaning Checklist by Mom 4 Real
I love this pretty, easy to follow checklist that covers it all, room by room. If you’re looking for something simple and don’t know where to start, start here!
- The Big Spring Clean by Living Well Spending Less
This is a fantastic article with a big-picture way of looking at cleaning your house, beginning with the top and ending with the bottom. Ruth Soukup always has our back when it comes to this sort of thing!
- A Thorough Spring Cleaning Checklist by The Complete Guide to Imperfect Homemaking
This is a great one if you aren’t looking for a printable per se, but want to take a look at a room-by-room guide to getting your house sparkling.
More Home Management Ideas
38 Life Changing Podcasts for Moms
All the Best Laundry Tips
Balance Work and Home Life as a SAHM
Meal Planning Basics for Fall and Winter
How to Start a Planner: Tips + Steps!
Alternative Spring Life Clean-Up Checklists
Love these! Here are a couple of fantastic lists of creative, less-than-obvious ways to tidy up your life. They are both worth more than a look.
Once again, there may only be two, but they are fantastic! Give them a try.
- Spring clean your life: Tips to help you declutter and become happier by Creative Boom
This one offers a great overview of how to look at your life as a whole and refresh where necessary. I love its conversational style and the links to resources mixed in.
- 15 Ways to Spring Clean Your Life by Vagabomb
This article reminds you to slow down and think outside the box. One of my favorite ideas was to rekindle an old talent or hobby.
My Spring Cleaning Adventures
I’m not going by a list or putting pressure on myself this year. But here’s a glimpse of what I’ve done so far and how I tackle Spring Cleaning..one item a day, with my kids involved.
So far this year I have…
- Cleaned our ceiling fans–I don’t even want to tell you how neglected they were
- Cleaned out and organized our kitchen freezer
- Cleaned out the fridge–my daughter’s favorite
- Did some serious dusting, like behind the TV (I know!)
- Cleaned out our family’s catch-all desk
- Threw away expired coupons, and got an organizer for the coupons I’d like to use
- Decorated for Spring inside and out
- Stored our winter coats away and got out lighter jackets
- Cleaned up and stored humidifiers away for the season
- Cleaned our air vents and Ry replaced the filter
- Gathered up all of our clothes that need to be donated, loaded them in the car, and got them to Goodwill
- Went over our finances with Ry and set up a simple budget (we use the Mint app)
- Deleted old files on our laptop that had been slowing it down for years (Years!)
- Raked up the leaves that had accumulated along the bushes in our front yard
- Ry power washed our front porch and gave our car a good wash too
What are you up to this year? I love hearing about how other people tackle Spring cleaning. I’m just going to vicariously clean through your lovely posts and comments today, if you don’t mind. 🙂