I only recently started this blog, and I thought it was high time I introduced myself. I’ve been floored with how wonderful you ladies are who’ve been following along. Thank you for all your visits and comments! So here’s a little more about me.
First of all, I’m a believer who needs Jesus every single day, and I love to share grace and encouragement with others, which is one of the reasons I started this blog. I’m a stay-at-home-mom to two little kiddos, Kai (age four) and Sylvie (age one), and have been married to the best man in the history of men for more than 15 years.
I grew up in Iowa and met my husband “Ry” at the University of Iowa, even though he’s from the East Coast. Together Ry and I have lived in three different states, including North Carolina, Colorado, and now Iowa (again), with the longest stint being seven years in the Littleton, CO area.
I miss it! There are positives and negatives to every place, but it’s easy to miss views like this.
We were finally able to expand our family after 12 years of marriage with the birth of our son Kai. I left my full-time job and became a SAHM just two weeks after my maternity leave was up.
Not long after having Kai, we decided to see if we could move close to family back in Iowa. God gave Ry an opportunity with a fantastic job, and so when Kai was a little more than a year old, we returned! We live 40 minutes from where I grew up and where my family’s farm is.
We weren’t sure if we were going to have more kids, until God made the decision for us. Our little family grew in 2015 (at the very end of the year) with our precious daughter Sylvie.
You can read all about her here. She’s the social, vocal, expressive one of our group!
Moving from a big city suburb to a small, rural town was a change, but it was a good one. We love raising our family in the heartland, with family close by. I missed the beauty of Iowa’s rolling prairie when we lived in Colorado. It feels like home.
I’ve never been happier or felt better about where I’m at in life, at home with my kiddos, taking on the biggest ministry and hardest work I’ll ever know. God makes sure to keep things light around here, with tons of gleefully silly moments and a few disgusting ones to round out the experience.
How Cheered on Mom Began
I’ve been shocking the masses by using my English degree for something other than teaching, specifically blogging, since 2007. The blog I began was a niche blog about baby names that lead to my freelance work and a book. It was quite a ride, but what I really wanted was the chance to write about a wider range of topics.
I started this blog thinking it would tell the story of our lives for family and friends. I did nothing with it the first year of Sylvie’s life, because it would have only made things more difficult. When 2017 came around, I decided I was ready…but then the Blogging Monster took hold (it’s a thing), and it wasn’t long before I decided to write for more than just family, specifically other moms in particular.
So here I am, making the tiniest dent in the world of mommy blogs, sharing what would normally be way too much for my introverted personality to handle in person.
|sputtering sentence fragments & lighting things on fire|
Random Facts About Me
- I have three siblings, and I’m second in line. #middlechild
- My brother and I share a birthday.
- My parents became foster parents when I was 12.
- I was baptized on my 15th birthday. I wanted to have my spiritual birthday and my actual birthday match.
- I didn’t figure out school until college. The day I was handed a real syllabus, with all the expectations and assignments listed out for me was a happy day!
- I’m 37 years old.
- My top love languages are words and gifts.
- I love lists.
- I love socks. Soft, comfy, cozy socks. And leg warmers too.
- I’m a jack of all trades with interests and some skills in a bunch of different areas, (singing, graphic design, drawing, writing, names/onomastics, aromatherapy) but the one thing that sticks for me is blogging.
- I say ridiculous words instead of swearing. Things like “Malarky!” “Lands sakes!” and “Mother of pearl!” And really, those are the most normal ones.
- My favorite word is haberdashery.
- I hate getting my hands wet/messy. My husband thinks I’m weird because even while I cook, I use utensils for everything.
- I hate public speaking, and (less so) talking on the phone. When I was writing about names, HuffPost Live contacted me to do an interview about baby name trends, and I said no. (See Judy Grimes.) That’s how much I hate it.
- I play background music during our family meals. I always match the music to what we’re eating. If it’s Mexican, we listen to Mexican music. Greek, we listen to Mediterranean music. Comfort food, we listen to country music, etc.
- I’ve decided to become fluent in Spanish. Just give me like eight years.
- I love special drinks…teas, coffees, italian sodas, lemonades, shakes…well, you get the picture. I’d rather have a special drink than a special dessert. But if I can have both, that’s obviously the best scenario.
- I love cupcakes, not just to eat, but to look at. I love all the cupcake themed toys coming out lately, and I want to buy them all for my daughter, of course.
- I love lip gloss. My lips get really dry and I need something on them at all times. The matte lip trend is not for me.
- I love pink, hearts, glittery things…I’m still a 10-year-old girl from the 80s deep inside. Lisa Frank is my friend.
- As a family, we spend a lot of time on my parents’ farm. We live in “town,” but it’s a rural town surrounded by gorgeous farm country and rolling hills. I consider myself a small town girl, and a bit of a country girl.
- My favorite movie is Field of Dreams. Just take a look at my life! I’ve been to the farm where it was filmed, played softball on the field, and disappeared into the corn. After all, people will come. 🙂
Thanks for sticking with this entire post! This seems like a good time to let you know I’m thankful you’re here, and I hope you are encouraged and entertained every time you come by.
If you’re a blogger and want to share your introduction post, add your link in the comments! I would love to read all about you! And I mean that in a non-creepy way.